Thursday, September 08, 2005

Artistic Connections


Being a relative newcomer to Mount Vernon, I rely a lot on the connections of others when it comes to resources for our class. Last night, instead of sleeping.... I had all kinds of ideas rattling around in my head. Great ideas for the kids, but we would need the talents of others to pull them off.

One of my ideas was to have the kids work with some talented soul to compose a song about Heifer. We would then make a music video and enter it in a contest called Digitalkies. http://www.ncce.org/digitalkies/(This would probably be an after school project, although we might do part in class and then have small groups perfect it after school. ) (Not enough time in our day.) So, if any of you know of a person with a talent for songwriting that might want to help us out, please let me know.

One of the other ideas was to create a class arpillera (appliqued wallhanging) to auction at the Art Fair. This would be a rural scene of Mount Vernon done in the style of a Peruvian Apilleras.

This again could be an afterschool project. It could be done in small sections of time with a few kids at at time. It would fit in with our study of Latin American culture and produce a really unique piece. But again, I would need help and expertise to make this work. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

That's enough of my ideas for now. Just thought that I would throw them out there to see if anyone knew someone perfect for helping us.
Thanks,

Martha Thornburgh

No comments: