Wednesday, October 12, 2005

October 11, 12

Homework:
Read at Home, Spelling ABC, Fluency, work on projects

Hope that this message gets to all of you. I am working at home while sick. Yesterday students worked on measuring angles in math. In Social Studies they were writing an essay comparing their group's country to Mexico. Today, students are working on discovering how many nets they can make that make a cube. In Social Studies, students will continue to work on their country projects. They know that they need the essay (integrated Language Arts) on comparing their country to Mexico, 2 graphs (integration with math and technology) , a map, a flag, a list of interesting facts, a Heifer Project in their country. They may choose other items that they find interesting as well. Just to be clear!!!! This is the group project they are doing in class. This is not the country project they are doing for homework that is due on Oct. 28. I purposefully did not give as many guidelines for the homework project. I want the kids to have fun with it and pursue their own interest on the homework project.

I hope to be up and running tomorrow. I hate to miss school. We do so much every day and we don't have a minute to waste. I do my best to prepare sub plans that can continue the learning while I am gone. It greatly helps when students not only follow my expectations when I am there, but also, when there is a substitute in place. Today Mrs. Wollan was able to reward some of the students who were respectful, hardworking and helpful to the sub yesterday. It needs to be clear though that this is the expectation always, not just when there is the anticipation of a reward.

Forgot to include the following link. This is a great math website. The activity that I linked to has to do with nets. Nets are fairly new to me, so I thought that might be new to some of you as well. There are any other interactive math activities at this site as well.


http://illuminations.nctm.org/tools/tool_detail.aspx?id=84

No comments: